I first met Fotini through her Υoutube channel, Dressing Room. Her expression, pleasant character and videos’ themes made a great first impression. When I met her in person, I was sure that she is a friendly, smart and nice girl. Her outfits usually have to do with famous trends but she always presents them adjusted to her own style. I’m really happy to present her interview today, in which she revealed a lot about her and her Υoutube channel. So don’t forget to take a look at her channel and check her impressive videos.
1) Stylishly Beautiful Team (from now on SBT): Tell us a few things about yourself.
I am a huge fan of smiling and being positive. Those two can deal with every kind of situation. I’m a travel agent and definitely love traveling too – if you won’t find me arranging your next destination, you’ll see me wandering abroad asking for directions. Since I was a kid I adored playing with markers and paints, and now I’m playing with trends, clothes and accessories.
2) SBT: What did motivate you to start your own channel on Υoutube?
There was a time in my life I was looking for a hobby to channel my creativity and fashion bloggers’ world (which is also very popular) caught my attention. When I discovered “youtubers” who can express themselves through their videos and not through photographs, I decided that this was all that I wanted to do. I believe that combining things you want to show (for me this is my style) with music, direction and effects makes the fashion browsing an audiovisual experience.
3) SBT: You create a series of videos with a variety of combinations based on a major piece, how did you come up with this idea?
All this was a result of my personal desire to dress with different outfits and new combinations on a daily basis, always according to my personal taste and without spending much on buying new clothes. Thus, in my videos, I like to show people how to create many outfits depending on the occasion and utilizing 100% of all the pieces in our wardrobe, only by using just one major piece at a time. We live in an overcosuming society that aims too much in fashion and in people’s need for self-expression through styling, but it’s not necessary to give in to every trend! A little imagination and less purchases are enough to make you stylish every day! Fashion is for everybody!
4) SBT: How time consuming is to create such a video?
It takes quite a lot of time, although the final cut lasts only 3-5 minutes. The filming process, in other words recording outfits for each episode takes 4-8 hours – depending on whether it’s an outdoor or an indoor filming. The editing alsο takes 3-4 days by spending 4-5 hours a day to complete it.
5) SBT: Which are the 5 key pieces, in your opinion, everyone should have in their closet?
1. My first thought is the “little black dress”. We may be sick and tired of hearing about it, but we can create so many looks with it. Needless to say how lovely it looks even if you wear it as a single piece.
2. One pair of jeans that fits you perfectly and is also comfy. This might be your favorite pair of jeans or a black pair of trousers or whatever makes you feel it suits your style and your body type.
3. A basic T-shirt. I don’t want to suggest any specific color or type for you simple t-shirt. Considering the colors and line you prefer, your t-shirt can save you any time you doubt about your combinations.
4. An all-season overcoat. From the classic jacket, to the sporty bomber one and your intellectual blazer, an overcoat that can be combined with most of the pieces of our wardrobe will be worn a lot in any weather circumstance.
5. An easy-going pair of flat shoes in any design you like. Even though we feel sexier with our favorite pair of high heels, we can really rely on our comfortable shoes. They can accompany us in all aspects of our daily lives, even at a night out when the day’s fatigue makes the high heels a terrifying choice.
6) SBT: Which outfit do you prefer when you feel out of choices?
In these cases, I have two options. The first one is a basic look, like a t-shirt with a pair of jeans or a dress. And the second one is an outfit I have already worn in the past with a few changes.
7) SBT: What kind of things inspire you?
I get inspired by many and different things. Nature, art, people, media, music and everything else we can perceive with our senses. The various stimuli subsequently get filtered from our personal style and so different ideas are born.
8) SBT: Which advice would you give to someone who is about to start his own Υoutube channel?
There will never be a right moment to start something of your own, either it’s a blog/vlog or anything else. There will also never be the right time to have the necessary knowledge and equipment. So, just do it, and you will work everything else in your way – like technical issues, the presentation’s style and everything else that concerns you. Here are some tips:
– Think about it well before you decide your channel’s/blog’s name. If you don’t use your personal name, then the title must be original and representative to its content and also easy to remember.
– Great image quality. You don’t have to buy an extremely expensive camera, especially if there is a possibility to not take full advantage of it in the end. But in a too competitive space like this, your phone’s/laptop’s camera is not a good solution. You can find economic and qualitative options in the market.
– You have to use marketing techniques by your own. Create profiles to many social media and connect them directly to your blog/channel, use public relations and meet people from the section that interests you, like other bloggers/vloggers etc.
9) SBT: What are your future plans/dreams?
My main plan is to improve the quality of my channel’s episodes and I won’t keep it a secret: my dream is to make Dressing Room my main occupation or something equally creative.
10) SBT: Our final question is: Tell us a few things we may not know about you.
My real name is different and since I was a little girl I thought that it doesn’t fit me. “Fotini” is my real name’s translation and when I was 10 I declared to my parents that I liked it more and I will start using it from now on. It’s up to you to guess what my real name is.
You can also find Fotini on: